Events and Notifications framework has seen major improvements in recent PeopleTools releases. Discussed below is a quick setup steps to configure automated email notifications using this framework.
For detailed information on this framework refer to product guide – Events and Notification Framework
Sample use case: Automated notification to administrator on upcoming contract expiry to initiate contract renewal activities.
Step1: Create a PS Query definition to identify transactions to trigger email alert notification
- Query must not contain a prompt value i.e. able to run without any parameter
- Query output must contain either a PS User Id or Email Address to derive the target email recipient
Sample Query Output:
Step2: Configure Alert Definition based on new PS query. Use notification process category – CUSTOMEMAIL that is delivered to send email notifications
Sample alert configuration:
- Alert Attributes – Define alert frequency and content format
- Recipient Source – Map alert recipient identifier from PS Query
- Email Subject/Message – Define Message Catalog for email content and map its bind variables to PS Query output
- Transaction URL – Map transaction keys from PS Query to the search record fields in target component
Step 3:Run Alerts Notification Process
- Alert definitions are processed by a delivered application engine process – EOEN_ALERT
- Execute this process either on ad-hoc basis or using a recurrence definition as needed
- Run control page allows selecting individual alerts or a group for execution
Alerts notification process publishes an internal message – EOEN_MSG which is processed via integration broker to send out email notifications. Service operation – EOEN_MSG and related IB objects must be active.
Sample Email notification generated
Features of Event and Notification Framework
- Ability to configure the content of notification email and include transaction data in it
- Email content configured thru Message catalogue definition that can include HTML tags to create user friendly emails
- Ability to send either individual or consolidated email to users. An example use-case scenario is to notify managers individually of contract expiry of their subordinates or consolidated notification to HR of contract expiry with their department
- Notification email by default has a configurable re-direction link allowing users to directly access the transaction in the application. This feature allows user to take action on the notification immediately.
- Apart from emails, notifications can also be created as worklist entries in PeopleSoft. This can be used as checklist as users can act on the notification and close the worklist to mark it as completed.